This week I interviewed the YA librarian at the Brooklyn Public Library branch where I also work.
- One of the biggest challenges is staff members negative attitude’s towards teens. (No surprise there!)
- RA can be really tricky in an Orthodox Jewish community. Finding “clean” books for teens is harder than it sounds.
- Turning on the radio during programs is the simplest way to create a teen space, especially when working with a limited budget. Something about the background noise helps everyone relax and open up.
- Repetition! Repetition! Repetition! If you want teens to come to your programs you have to tell them again and again. Even when teens claim they know what the library offers, you should give them the information again.
- The most important thing for new librarians to remember: Ask for help and don’t be afraid to make mistakes.